Tri-Boro Election Guide
The candidates, incumbents and issues that will be affecting Kinnelon, Butler and Bloomingdale and Morris and Passaic Counties.
As Election Day approaches Tuesday, Tri-Boro Patch will be bringing you all the information you need to know before heading to the polls. We will also bring you election results as soon as they are made available.
For now, check out the candidates and the races by clicking on the links below. Note: names without links are candidates who did not respond or were unavailable for our survey.
- Kinnelon Council: Republican incumbent Dan O'Dougherty and newcomer Republican Carol Sventy, who won the June 5 primary against incumbent Andy San Filippo, will run unopposed.
- Bloomingdale Council: Republican incumbent Jo-Ann Pituch and newcomer Republican Michele Siek will face Democrats Rich Dellaripa and Michael Sondermeyer for two open council seats.
- Butler Council: Republicans Robert Fox and Robert Meier will run unopposed for two council seats.
- Kinnelon Board of Education: Incumbent Board Member Keith Dama will be challenged for his one-year unexpired term while incumbent Katie Stylianou and newcomer Mike Petruccelli will run unopposed for two three-year terms.
- Bloomingdale Board of Education: Three incumbents, Lauren Grecco, John Pituch and Thomas Kroncke, will face newcomers James Schalago and Robert Bloodgood for three open seats on the board. Charles Caraballo will be running for the one-year unexpired term of Cathy Gurbisz.
- Butler Board of Education: Incumbent Board Member Julie Ruighaver will be challenged for her two-year unexpired term by Vito A. Morgese; incumbents Matt Lee, Heather Grecco and Michael Puglise are running unopposed for their three-year terms; and Board Member Beata Beaudoin will run unopposed for her one-year unexpired term.
- Passaic County Freeholders: Three incumbent Republicans (Michael Marotta, Deborah E. Ciambrone and Edward O'Connell) will face three Democrats (John Bartlet, Hector Lora and Ronda Casson Cotroneo) for three open seats.
- Morris County Freeholders: Three regular-term seats are up for election, with Democrats Wasim Kahn, Toshiba Foster (Morristown) and Joy Singh taking on GOP candidates John Cesaro, John Krickus and David Scapicchio. Republican Hank Lyon will face Democrat Truscha Quatrone for an unexpired term.
- 26th District New Jersey Assembly: Republican Assemblywoman Betty Lou DeCroce, who is currently filling the unexpired term husband of her late husband Alex DeCroce, who died in January, will face Democrat Joseph Raich, of Parsippany, to fill the second year of the term.
- 11th Congressional District: Longtime Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen, who faced no opposition in the GOP primary, will take on Democratic Challenger John Arvanites, who also had no opponents in the primary.
- U.S. Senate: U.S. Senator Bob Menendez (D), the junior United States Senator from New Jersey who was first appointed in 2006 to fill Jon Corzine's seat, takes on Republican challenger Joe Kyrillos, who easily defeated three opponents in the primary.
- U.S. President: President Barack Obama will face former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.