.

Butler Woman Suffers 'Severe' Burns From Cigarette

64-year-old airlifted to burn center after accidentally lighting her hair on fire, police said.

A 64-year-old Butler woman was airlifted to St. Barnabas Burn Center late Saturday afternoon after accidentally setting herself on fire while lighting a cigarette, according to Capt. Ciro Chimento.

Butler Police officers responded to 110 Main St. shortly before 4:30 p.m., when they found the woman with severe burn wounds to her face, forehead and neck, Chimento said.

While lighting a cigarette, the woman had accidentally set her hair on fire, Chimento said, which is how the burns occured. The woman was conscious, but in distress, Chimento said.

It wasn't immediately clear which degree the burn wounds were, but Chimento called them "severe."

Butler Fire Chief Jim Neill confirmed that a helicopter had transported the patient on Saturday afternoon.

Richard Dean October 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM
While obviously like everyone else I do feel very bad for the victim, I do want to stress that we in New Jersey are extremely fortunate in having St Barnabas Burn Center so nearby in Livington. It is one of the most highly rated burn centers not just of the United States but of the world and pioneered this much needed part of emergency medicine.
Dee Duram October 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Terrible story....feel so bad for the lady but I bet she won't stop smoking..........wicked addiction..........

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »