Generator Sparks Fire at Whitewood Drive Home

Parsippany Police say no one was injured in the incident.

Three Parsippany fire companies were called to a home on Whitewood Drive in the Morris Plains section of the township at about 9:30 a.m. Thursday after a report of a fire.

Parsippany Police spokesperson Ptlm. Earl Kinsey said the cause of the fire was a generator in the home's garage.

A landscaper saw the fire and informed the homewowner, who evacuated the building, said Kinsey, adding that no one was injured in the incident.

The patrolman said the generator's exhaust was too close to combustible material in the garage, which started the fire. He added that there was a great deal of smoke, but actual flames were contained to the garage.

The Mt. Tabor, Rainbow Lakes and Lake Parsippany fire districts were called to the scene to handle the blaze, which was quickly knocked down. Mutual aid came from the Cedar Knolls Fire Department.

Residents are reminded to use generators carefully and safely.

clyde donovan November 01, 2012 at 05:48 PM
Generators are only to be used well outside of an inhabited structure. Even a generator too close to a house can cause problems. Two teenage girls in Newark died when carbon monoxide seeped in through a window. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/2_sisters_die_newark_carbon_mo.html
Feyi Idera November 03, 2012 at 02:15 PM
I don't think this your place to comment on. Thanks


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »