A small fire in a residence on Treetop Court was caused by someone trying to stay warm in the aftermath of Sandy, according to a release from the Bloomingdale Police Department.
Shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday, officers from the department and volunteers from the Bloomingdale Fire Department responded to the residence after reports of smoke.
The resident was not at home, but a small fire was found inside. The fire was quickly extinguished.
According to the release, the resident had been using charcoal bricks and a small barbecue for warmth and some trash had caught fire.
The apartment was ventilated by the fire department because of odor. Several other residents were evacuated as a precaution, but all were allowed to return upon the scene being declared safe by the fire department.