The Martha B. Day School was evacuated Tuesday morning because of a smell of gas in the school, Principal Cheryl Mallen said.
Mallen said a few pilot lights had gone out in the kitchen after the four-day weekend and the school was evacuated as a precaution.
Public Service Energy and Gas (PSE&G) was called to the school to light the pilots and a plumber was also called to check on the situation.
No injuries were reported in the incident. The students were out of the building for about 10 minutes.